Monday, December 1, 2008

New Camera. Help me.





OK, I have been using a Nikon D70 for about 4 years now, and it was time. I just picked up a new D90. The pictures you see here are unaltered. The grey-looking photos are the D70(#1 and #4), and the brighter are the D90(#2 and #3).

They were each taken on the "A" setting with an aperture of 3.2, matrix metering, no exposure compensation, with the on-camera flash, in auto White Balance, ISO 200.

I guess I just need some reassurance about my purchase, and some advice about how to go about fixing a few things;

#1. The D90 pictures look very faky-digital to me, am I going nuts?
#2. The D70 pictures have problems with skin-tones, but it's like the D90 is way overdoing it, trying to compensate for the lighting. Like messing with the contrast of the pictures? I don't know. Check out the red color of his shirt. It's more accurate in the D70 photos.

If you could give me any setting advice, I'd really appreciate it. I am just not a fan of the over-processed, digitally altered look.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's one ugly baby

Corey said...

RUDE!!!!

Megan Marie said...

wow, thanks for the feedback. that really helped.

Jessica Jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica Jackson said...

I know I am not part of the 'society'... but have you gone into the menu and checked the "optimize quality" option. It might be on vivid? Or soft... it looks like and odd combination. Does this happen on other settings? Like "m"?

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'M the one that is crazy but i LIKE the more vivid shots. (I'm looking mostly at the difference between the first two shots) I think the second one looks much more lively.

Megan Marie said...

thank you guys for your help, jessica, my husband was playing with the settings and he tricked them out, so they were highly vivid. I found a balance that works for skin-tones. Anonymous, you are not crazy, the vivd settings did add life to the pictures, and defiantly the D70 pictures were bland. For skin-tones though, I was able to find a happy medium, just to prevent the orangy-pink faces that were bothering me.